One important thing I learned here is the importance of reading scientific publication aka papers. We know that already but sometimes we just keep it by ourself. Journal club is a way of discussing scientific papers within your peers. It doesn't have to be directly related to your work but something within your main areas. During my first month of my PhD studentship here in BRC, I was told that I have to prepare a presentation of whatever paper of my choice but not directly relate to my project. It's mean I have to find a paper, read it, understand it thoroughly and present my opinion on that paper in front of all PhD students. That's scary. Never done this..so as a new student at a new dicipline (natural product switch to proteomic) I have to read a lots of papers before I'll be able to decide which one should be presented.
Finally during lunch hour, I picked up a copy of Journal of Cancer Research which I intended to read while having my lunch. I spotted a very interesting paper about automated screening of natural product compounds by using a Zebra fish larve. At least I know natural product, I can ask my husband about the fish and there are a lots of colorful images and figures.. BINGO.
My presentation went well and fell great about it. I was thinking that the studies reported in that paper is applicable and if I have the opportunity, I will definately interested in venturing in that kind of research.
Well, what kind of experience gained from this.... It is not the presentation is matter. It is the reading is the key point. The whole process is vital to nurture the interest and be able to view research in a wider perspective. When we read somebody else's work, we somehow will try to find a link to our own work. This process is very important is research development which we cannot get somewhere or somebody else except find it ourself.
In the future, if I have students, this is a must have activity for them.
Thursday, 7 August 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment